Saturday 13 June 2009

Nostalgia bites

I like old films. Some old films though have an extra ingredient attached. I'm talking about films that I watched when I was growing up. Those old horror movies from the 1930's and 1940's by Universal always make me nostalgic for those Friday nights when Debbie and I would stay up and watch the horror double bill. The thing about this series of films is there are some great ones like The Wolf Man with Lon Chaney Jr or Dracula with Bela Lugosi and there are some real stinkers like The Mummy's Curse (1944) which I watched last night. This was the fifth and last of Universal's mummy movies and the blandest of the bunch. Believe me I've watched all five this year. I wouldn't bother mentioning it but it does have one thing going for it. Virginia Christine. She is fabulous as the Princess Ananka. The scene where she gradually comes alive from her swampy grave and walks into the sunlight is spellbinding. It's a real shame that it's not part of a better movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment